What to do when your dog is poisoned by a frog or toad

Frogs and toads may not seem like huge threats to your canine's health ... until you find one inside of your dog's mouth. Dogs have a tendency to lunge and bite at smaller creatures, such as frogs and toads, when they cross their path. But did you know that a dog can be killed within hours of simply licking a poisonous toad? This is why it is important to make sure your dog never gets his mouth around one, and to know exactly what to do if he does.

**********

What to do when your dog is poisoned by a frog or toad1. Wash out your dog's mouth

This is the first thing you should do after you dog has licked, mouthed or bitten a frog or toad. Even if you didn't clearly see what kind of amphibian it was and don't know if it was poisonous, start rinsing immediately. The proper way to do this is to stand behind your dog so you can get a strong grip on his jaw, and force his mouth open while using a hose to rinse it out from the side. It's important to only rinse from the side so you're not forcing any water or potential poison down his throat or windpipe. You should continue rinsing for 5-10 minutes to make sure you have gotten most of the foul taste and/or poison out of his mouth.

2. Wipe your dog's mouth with a clean, wet towel

This is to ensure that you have completely cleaned out his entire mouth. Make sure you wipe down his tongue, teeth, the roof and sides of his mouth.

3. Wash and clean his paws and legs

If your dog did come in contact with a poisonous frog or toad, you don't want to have left any toxins on your dog's body where he can lick it off later. Even ingesting poison this way can kill a dog.

4. Call or visit your vet immediately

Call or visit your vet and describe your situation, and even describe or bring the offending frog or toad if possible. Your dog will receive better and more accurate treatment if your vet knows exactly what the situation is.

5. Give your dog plenty of water to drink

After an unpleasant encounter with a frog or toad, your dog probably won't feel like drinking or eating. However, most dogs who have been poisoned will most likely feel nauseated and will vomit a few times, which will dehydrate them. Make sure he has access to water, which will help him replenish any lost fluids and flush out the toxins in his system.




**********

When my dog mouthed an unidentified frog during an evening walk outside, it was a terrifying experience. He immediately spit out the frog (which hopped merrily away) as if he had tasted something horrible, and began uncontrollably foaming at the mouth. Fortunately, we were near our home, so my dog was immediately rushed to the bathroom where his mouth was rinsed and wiped until there was no foam left. The vet was alerted, and we were told to continue to monitor the dog's situation.

He seemed all right for awhile, if a bit traumatized, then he began to vomit. Over the course of two hours he vomited four times, each puddle of bile significantly smaller than the previous one. It was also difficult to tell whether he was so exhausted because he was possibly poisoned, or if it was just all the vomiting that was taking a lot out of him. He did however, manage to drink a little water, which was encouraging.

Thankfully, after three hours, my dog seemed to spring back to life, and actually approached his bowl hoping to get a little food. He was most likely hungry since he had thrown up his entire dinner onto the floor.

We were very lucky that my dog's harrowing experience was not a fatal one, although I still don't know whether the frog he encountered was poisonous or not. However, the above instructions are ones that every owner should keep in mind just in case their dogs are ever bested by a frog or toad.

28 comments:

  1. my two-twin dogs ate something poisons them and they didn't eat their meal i don't know what to do please help me!!!!!!!!!!,.,.and my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get those dogs to a veterinarian immediately! And try to recall everything they've eaten and been in contact with before they got sick. Bring them to a doctor right away!

      Delete
  2. Thank you....my shiba inu was poisoned by a frog last month and because of your post I was able to take care of her and she was just fine. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that! Dogs really know how to get into all sorts of trouble and keep us on our toes, don't they? I'm so happy this post was helpful to others!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I did the same thing to my dog just now she vomitted just once, the TOAD was BIG.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad it was just once! Make sure to keep some water nearby, she'll probably be thirsty soon. Hope she feels better soon!

      Delete
  3. Our siberian husky bit a toad and vomited 7 times, i followed the instructions though. He wants to sleep already but is breathing a lil heavier and we can hear his stomach growling, is all this normal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's probably exhausted ... and hungry since he vomited up the entire contents of his stomach. It's important to keep him hydrated and please still inform your vet! Always better to have a licensed vet take a look at him too if possible.

      Delete
  4. My yorkie also experienced this just last nyt. I woke up 3am coz my dog was crying when i went outside he was lying in a pool of vomit. He cant open his mouth andhe was breathing hard through his nose. He cant move his legs. He was like paralized. I never left his side and i see his struggling and fighting for me. I was crying. After a few hours he stopped crying and he was able to move his legs and ate the food i gave him. It was sunday and our vet was outof town i was able to take him monday and the vet said yeah he was poisoned by frog. I would never leave him outside again. T.T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your dog is all right! It's an awful thing to watch your dog be in that kind of pain and not be able to do anything about it. I'm happy he pulled through.
      It's too bad your vet was out of town so you couldn't find your pup professional help sooner. I'd see if maybe there's another 24-hour vet somewhere in your area in case of emergency?

      Delete
  5. This happened to my yorkie just a few hours ago. Very scary. We called an emergency vet and they told us it could have been an encounter with a toad. Sure enough, we looked outside and saw a toad hopping by. We gave the yorkie a bath right away to get him cleaned up. My family and I were so scared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Siberen Husky has a 2 frogs!! Please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same procedure applies! And get your pup to a doctor right away!

      Delete
  7. we just had an encounter with our Golden and a large toad. She was foaming at the mouth and shaking her head. She only puked a little. I immediately wiped out her mouth with paper towel. This was before seeing this post and I gave her a Benadryl tab to prevent a histamine reaction...she seems ok, she has eaten some ice...she has not drank any water yet...should I be concerned since she seems to be ok, this has me very scared....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still always best to get a vet's opinion if you can. I hope she's all right now!

      Delete
  8. My little chi is in doggie hospital right now. Vet said possible frog poisoning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish the internet had been around back when my dog Sneakers got ahold of a poisonous frog. Maybe he could have been saved. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Jack Russell just went after a toad. He immediately starting shaking his head and foamed at the mouth. I saw the whole thing so I know he didn't have the toad in his mouth but probably licked itThis was about 1-1/2 hours ago. I wiped his face and mouth with a wet towel. He seems fine now. Sleeping. Should I assume he's okay?? Worried!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he's drinking and eating then he should be all right. I'm always most concerned when pets begin to refuse water and food.

      Delete
  11. My dog got a toad in his mouth and just shook his head and sneezed a little. This happened a day or two ago. He seems fine. No vomiting, no foam, still eats like normal. Should I do anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say if his energy level is fine and he's eating and drinking normally, he's probably over it. Whew!

      Delete
  12. My Spaniel bit a toad and I washed her mouth. I do not know what else to do I am scared

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about small green frogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those aren't generally poisonous, but if you're dog is having a bad reaction I'd say maybe he's responding to something that was on the frog's skin, and to still implement the steps above.

      Delete